The Africa Centre is pleased to announce the winners of our 2016 Artists In Residency (AIR) Programme.
After receiving over 400 applications from 20 African countries for our general call, we shortlisted 26 artists on behalf of our residency partners. Based on each residency’s specific interests and requirements, they selected the following artists:
- Mina Nasr | Visual Arts | Egypt – Jiwar, Spain
- Qudus Onikeku | Performing Arts| Nigeria – Instituto Sacatar, Brazil
- Catherine Nakawesa | Performing Arts | Uganda – Handshake 302, China
- Hasan Essop | Visual Arts | South Africa- Khoj, India
- Beza Lemma | Film| Ethiopia – Bundanon Trust, Australia
- Gladys Kalichini | Visual Arts| Zambia – Fountainhead, USA
- James Webb | Visual Arts | South Africa – Fountainhead, USA
Over the coming weeks, we will be revealing more about these artists, including their residency proposals here and on our social media platforms. In two weeks we will be announcing the shortlist for the Bellagio Center residencies and the final selection will be made in May 2017.
Thank you to all the remarkably talented artists who submitted applications to our program in 2016, and congratulations to these final seven.
Missed the shortlist? Here it is.