Announcing the AIR 2016 Shortlist
We are delighted to share the 2016 Artists In Residency (AIR) shortlist!
This year we received a total of 4I5 applications across genres from 20 countries across the continent. While this marked a slight decline in the number of applications received, we noted a general improvement in the quality and diversity of the applications received. We were also pleased to record an increase in applications from countries such as Algeria, Uganda and Sierra Leone as well as a general bump in applications from performing artists.
After a thorough selection process that invited a panel of seasoned advisors to examine each application and weigh in their recommendations, the Africa Centre team is proud to present its shortlist of 26 of some of the continent’s most innovative and socially engaged artists who will be considered for residency opportunities with the following residencies: Bundanon Trust (Australia); Fountainhead (USA); Instituto Sacatar (Brazil); JIWAR Creation & Society (Spain); Khoj International Artists’ Association (India); & Handshake 302 in China, our newest residency partner.
The process of reviewing and curating the Africa Centre shortlist is always a rewarding one. We feel remarkably privileged to be able to explore the artistic landscape of each applicant.
Thank you to each of the artists who made submissions and congratulations to these 26 exceptional artists.
- Abe Gillian Stacey – Uganda
- Barbara Wildenboer – South Africa
- Chibuike Uzoma – Nigeria
- Danielle Myburg – South Africa
- James Webb – South Africa
- Keli Maksud -Kenya
- Gladys Kalichini – Zambia
- Hassan Essop – South Africa
- Mina Nasr – Egypt
- Mongezi Ncaphayi -South Africa
- Sethembile Msezane – South Africa
- Temitayo Ogunbiyi – Nigeria
- Novuyo Tshuma – Zimbabwe
- Percy Zvomuya -Zimbabwe
- Amira Hanafi- Egypt
- Joyce Jenje Makwenda – Zimbabwe
- Timothy Kimutai – Kenya
- Zinaid Meeran – South Africa
Performing Arts & Music
- Cara Stacey – South Africa
- Catherine Nakawesa – Uganda
- Gideon Mbothwe – South Africa
- Jacob Sakaria – Namibia
- Qudus Onikeku – Nigeria
- Beza Lemma – Ethiopia
- Bolatito Aderemi Ibitola – Nigeria
- Nazneen Saldulker – South Africa
The list of artists shortlisted for residencies at the Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Center will be announced in January 2017.