AIR 2018 Winner Announcement
Africa Centre’s Artists In Residency program exists in response to the reality that; compared to their counterparts in other parts of the world, artists on the African continent have limited opportunities to participate in residency programs. Our program matches exceptional, socially engaged African artists with residency opportunities around the world.
Our General Call awards residency opportunities at five distinctly different residency spaces. We are proud to announce the African Artists, selected by our residency partners based on each of their specific interests and requirements.
- Chemu Ng’ok | Visual Arts | Kenya | Going to Fountainhead Residency, USA
- Gerald Tawanda Machona | Visual Arts | Zimbabwe | Going to ISCP, USA
- Heran Abate | Literature | Ethiopia | Going to Djerassi Residency, USA
- Joseph Kaifala | Literature | Sierra Leone | Going to Instituto Sacatar, Brazil
- Kantarama Gahigiri | Film | Rwanda | Going to Bundanon Trust, Australia
Thank you to all who apply to our program. The opportunity you present for us to explore your artistic worlds is truly valued.
We will be sharing more about each of these applicants here and on our social media platforms. Stay tuned for the AIR – Bellagio winner announcement in April 2019.
Image: Courtesy of Infecting the City – a public arts festival hosted by the Africa Centre in Cape Town.